Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fuel Economy

Lately I have been searching for a more fuel efficient vehicle. I love my big truck but at 8 mile to the gallon it has become difficult to afford. For instance it cost about $180 to get to the cabin and back this is roughly double from a year or so ago. This greatly cuts into my prepping budget and has stalled my move to the cabin. The same trip in an older car getting 32 mpg would cost $40. Not as glamorous or fun as the truck but a huge difference in money saving...which translates into more survival supplies.

So the hunt is on for a small, tough car that get great gas mileage. I want something four wheel drive, long lasting and easy to repair. Thinking an older model Subaru Wagon or something.

This brought me to the following website. I found this resource very valuable in looking for the best gas mileage bargain. Check it out.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

8 comments:

Rook said...

Bear, are you going to store the truck at the cabin until you move or not? That way you have it to run in town for the big stuff. I have a Dodge Durango. I would love to get rid of it, but I need the 4w drive and storage area in a Bug out time. It cost me $68 bucks to fill up on Thursday. Check me out at http://foragingprepper.blogspot.com/

Don't have a moat yet, but working hard at it.

Rook

Anonymous said...

In the early '70s, my family had a Subaru 360 that got 78 mpg.

Phil said...

Try an older Suzuki Samuri with a stick, if you can still find one that isn't beat to death.

MADDOG said...

get the legace tough as nails get the wagon lots of hauling space and will cruise at 130 mph and get 32mpg

Anonymous said...

Yeah, its amazing how many people are trying to dump their large vehicles but the market just is not there anymore. This puts many in a tough situation, spending $1000 or even more per month just commuting to work.

Meanwhile, record oil profits.

The Other Mike S. said...

I'm looking to get a new truck as well. I've run into the Ford Escape Hybrid SUV. 34 city/30 highway mpg.

I drove one of the Escapes - the non-hybrid - from the SF Bay Area to Boise, ID. Very comfortable, nice power, no complaints.

Anonymous said...

1986 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Wagon - $2500 (Parker)
Reply to: sale-736224336@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-28, 5:10PM MDT


One Owner, Serviced at BURT since purchased new. 2x4 OR 4x4, new tires, 6 speed, 30+MPG, regular unleaded. This is a unique and great car, and won't last! Only 150K original miles. First 2500 takes it.




* This item has been posted by-owner.
* Location: Parker
* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 736224336

Anonymous said...

Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4 5Spd - $2500 (Denver)
Reply to: sale-735376255@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-27, 10:05PM MDT


1986 Great Car! 2nd Owner, straight body, no accidents. 2 wheel OR 4 wheel drive, great gas mileage, 30+MPG! Lots of room in back. what more could you ask for? This car will go for another 100K easily. Has 150K on the speedo. Hate to part with it, but have to get something bigger. This is one of the most reliable cars out there. http://www.carsurvey.org/review_28079.html for more review on this vehicle. This one won't last long at this price at all, first one with cash and its gone.