Sunday, March 16, 2008

Watering System Update

Last week I told you about a new watering product I was using. I am testing a Blumat Automatic Plant Waterer in one of the bean containers. My concern was that the porous cone shaped device would not deliver enough water to the plants to maintain healthy growth.

I was looking for a watering support system that would require no power or plumbing and gradually deliver water to pots unsupported for at least two weeks.

The Blumat was designed as a vacation waterer that requires no power or running water. You place the hollow ceramic spike in the dirt and the hose in a container of water. The planter's dirt will leach water from the porous ceramic cone creating a suction that draws water from the container placed next to the pot.

After testing the unit appears to delivers about 1/2 gallon of water per seven days. At first glance I would say it is not enough water for the plants, especially tomatoes, but the three bean plants in the container are thriving. They are actually doing better than the container sitting next to it that I am manually watering. I am probably over watering the manual container.

I will let you know next week how they are preforming.

1 comment:

Mountain_Tracker said...

Interesting! I'd sure like updates!