Monday, March 10, 2008

Watering Systems

I just got a new watering can and am very pleased with it.

Now that may sound silly, but your watering can is a critical part of any container garden. The quality of water delivery will make a very big difference in seed germination and plant support.

I had a really cheap watering can. It held about a half a gallon and had a short spout with a quarter inch watering hole on the end. Seem OK. But when you actually water anything the stream from the quarter inch opening had a tendency to put divots in the dirt. This is very bad when it comes to germination trays or recently planted seedlings.

With germination trays the flow of water will either wash the seed to the surface or drive it to deep to sprout. Seedlings have a tendency to uproot when hit with a stream of water.

The new watering can has a diffuser on the end which simulates a gentle rain...no washouts.

I was looking for a watering support system that would require no power or plumbing and gradually deliver water to pots unsupported for at least two weeks.

The Blumat Automatic Plant Waterer (pictured left) was designed as a vacation waterer that requires no power or running water. You place the hollow ceramic spike in the dirt and the hose in a container of water. The planter's dirt will leach water from the porous ceramic cone creating a suction that draws water from the container placed next to the pot. I am testing it on one of my bean pots and it seems to be working not sure yet if the flow will be high enough to support the tomatoes but you can use more than one cone for additional flow.

This solves a large problems for me. I am running out of space here and would like to utilize the great southern windows at the cabin. But if I am only down there every couple of weeks, until I move down permanently, an unattended watering solution is necessary.

The Blumat Automatic Plant Waterer solves this issue. Put a large water container in front of the windows and drop the suction ends of the waterer into it. It should work nicely.

You can get these great little waterer's at any florist or nursery for around twelve buck for three cones.

7 comments:

Ryan said...

The small things are what makes life quite difficult or real simple. If a 20 dollarish widget (whatever it is) makes life better then it is worth it in the grand scene of things.

Anonymous said...

Where do you get your 5 gallon buckets? I've heard that some people ask at fast food joints for the pickle buckets, but that was quite a while ago. I've also seen them at Home Depot, but those are labeled for paint and I don't know if they are safe for food storage.

BigBear said...

I just get them at walmart and line them if necessary. They are around 4 bucks.

westyoungman said...

When I get moved out onto my property in SLV I will consider using a gel such as DriWater (also sold as RainBird product?) and will also use something like this to help start tress on my treeless property before I move there. There are many other types that are polymers but Driwater is pure water. Check out the link.

http://www.driwater.com/

BigBear said...

westyoungman,

You gonna be out no the valley floor?

Anonymous said...

You're right, Haws brand water cans make a difference. Google ECHO in North Fort Myers, FL. It's a research farm focused mainly on feeding the third world. They have a low-tech gravity drip irrigation kit that works with a 5 gallon bucket. I think it is about $20.

westyoungman said...

Bigbear,

Yes, I will be living on the valley floor. About 15 minutes NW from the town of San Luis. Flat, grazing land.